During an avalanche
If you become caught in an avalanche, try to:
- Push machinery, equipment or heavy objects away from you to avoid injury.
- Grab onto anything solid (trees, rocks, etc.) to avoid being swept away.
- Keep your mouth closed and your teeth clenched.
- If you start moving downward with the avalanche, stay on the surface using a swimming motion.
- Try to move yourself to the side of the avalanche.
When the avalanche slows, attempt to:
- Push yourself towards the surface.
- Make an air pocket in front of your face using one arm.
- Push the other arm towards the surface.
When the avalanche stops, begin to:
- Dig yourself out, if possible.
- Relax your breathing, particularly if you cannot dig yourself out.
- Stay calm and shout only when a searcher is near.
- Date modified: